<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."-Winston S. Churchill

"The wandering scholars were bound by no lasting loyalties, were attached by no sentiment of patriotism to the states they served and were not restricted by any feeling of ancient chivalry. They proposed and carried out schemes of the blackest treachery."-C.P. Fitzgerald.

Thursday, December 04, 2003

Sullivan 

....is a mandatory read today. Today's theme appears to be the slow but widespread institutionalization of anti-Semitic thought and action. Two things jump out at me.

First, the unquestioned acceptance in an Egyptian state library of The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion, a forgery produced by the old Czarist Okhrana, as an authentic Jewish text is in itself an outrage. This action should surprise no one, however, as anti-Semitism has been accepted as legitimate by Muslims since at least 1967.

Secondly, and somewhat more alarming, is a passage from John LeCarre's new novel. Go to Sullivan and scroll down. To be seen to be believed. My only question, one that I bumped to Andrew, was the context of the passage. I expect he will explain further, as LeCarre is one of the great writers of fiction of our time. Anyone who has had the pleasure of reading LeCarre's Karla trilogy as I have can imagine the disappointment that I hold at this development.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?