<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."-Winston S. Churchill

"The wandering scholars were bound by no lasting loyalties, were attached by no sentiment of patriotism to the states they served and were not restricted by any feeling of ancient chivalry. They proposed and carried out schemes of the blackest treachery."-C.P. Fitzgerald.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Away All Boats.... 


When the Amtracks crossed the line of departure as they approached Tarawa, Makin, or Saipan, that would be the cry among the officers: "Away all Boats!"

Nothing about polls here, today. I believe that Bush is ahead anywhere from two to four points nationally. The spread will mean the difference between a razor thin Electoral Vote win or a landslide in the college. We will know early.

I'm not sure that I can take Bush losing this election. I have invested a lot of emotional capital in this Administration, simply because I believe that George Bush is a Churchill for our times. Not that he has Churchill's gift for speech or the written word (his multivolume history, The Second World War remains that classic work of 20th Century history). The prospect of watching our enemies dance in the streets as John Kerry is swept to power is intolerable to me.

But we live in a Democracy; so there you have it. I'm simply betting that there is a trend towards George W. Bush, and reflects the unwillingness of Americans to change commanders in the middle of a fight. I like the mojo I'm hearing from the Bush campaign, and the undercurrent of unease I am detecting in the mainstream press. Tarrance/Lake (click on the little Battleground thingie on the bottom right of the index page, it opens up a .pdf file. Acrobat or OS X Panther Preview are our friends....) came out with their last Battleground poll, and the internals looked very nice to me, as well as GW's four point spread, and this kind of thing leads to my suspicion of a two to four point Bush advantage. Karl Rove appears to be yukking it up, as well. It is understood that Bush is playful and confident as he heads cross-country.

If I am wrong and Kerry wins, than I'll have to deal with that when the time comes. But I will not be happy, as I know that our enemies will believe that they have won a signal victory, and that the American people will have lost their nerve.

And so, like millions of other Americans, I'll shuffle across the deck, climb down the rope ladder, and take a step into the boat along with other Bush voters of like mind. We shall cross the line of departure together, and for better or worse pass into history for another four years.

YORK:
My lord, most humbly on my knee I beg
The leading of the vaward.


KING HENRY:
Take it, brave York. Now, soldiers, march away;
And how thou pleasest, God, dispose the day!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?