<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."-Winston S. Churchill

"The wandering scholars were bound by no lasting loyalties, were attached by no sentiment of patriotism to the states they served and were not restricted by any feeling of ancient chivalry. They proposed and carried out schemes of the blackest treachery."-C.P. Fitzgerald.

Thursday, November 04, 2004

A Challenge from my Silent Partner 


Fugstat, my silent partner in this enterprise and a Kerry voter, has laid down a challenge for me to outline the next four years. Apparently, before the war, I told him that it would go reasonably well, but did not foresee the insurgency or the missing WMD. Natch, he wants this down on paper so he can taunt me in four years, which is understandable.


Over the next couple of days, I will look at foreign and domestic policy in two seperate posts.


A couple of explanations from memory. I thought that the invasion would go well. It did; Third Army performed at a much higher rate of fire and maneuver than its namesake did in 1944. Baghdad was taken in the course of three weeks, which was unheard of in the forties. I believe a couple of things. Bill Gertz indicated that the Russians were suspected of having removed the high explosives that were so controversial last week. It is reasonable to suppose that the KGB/GRU/FRS Kombinat sent in Spetznaz teams to remove what remained of the WMD to make sure that Russia's fingerprints were taken off Saddam's program. Second; Bremer made a critical error in disbanding the Iraqi Army and engaging in wholesale de-Ba'athification. Patton had a relatively smooth time in Bavaria in 1945 because he employed ex-Nazi's, ex-Wehrmacht, and ex-Waffen SS in places where they were needed. This should have been remembered, but was not, and has caused untold grief. But on the whole, I believe the invasion to have been worthwhile and honorable and I believe that in thirty years, people will wonder how anyone could have opposed it.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?